Sunday 24 August 2008

New running shoes!



This morning I've been out to "test drive" my new running shoes - Mizuno Wave Rider 11. I bought them yesterday at The Birmingham Runner Shop and they cost my £80, which for some reason is cheaper than my last pair of Mizuno running shoes.

Earlier on in the week, I went onto www.physiosupplies.com, and ordered some new insoles (in common with 70% of the population - apparently - I have dropped arches and need support when I'm running to avoid over-pronating, which is when your feet sort of roll inwards, causing tendonitis and shin splints in my case). My friend Graham, who's a physiotherapist in Manchester, recommended the site. He also has dropped arches and pointed me towards the Orthaheel Sports Orthotic Insole. A snip at £20. Incredibly they arrived less than 24 hours after ordering, on a standard delivery charge. These people should be running the country.

So out I went this morning on a 2.2 mile run. A pathetic distance I know, but I'm building up my fitness again and I'm very overweight. Well the Mizunos gave me the comfort that I'm used to now (the first time I tried a pair of Mizunos on, it felt like my feet were enveloped in a combination of air and cotton wool) but the insoles were the real stars. My feet feel properly supported for the first time ever and it's so reassuring. Maybe I'll never suffer the agonies of shin splints again? Who knows.

Overall, though, I felt like shit. It's hard to believe I'm the same person who ran the Manchester 10K race effortlessly as recently as June. But thankfully it's like childbirth (not that I'd know) - by the time the next run comes along, I've forgotten how awful the last one was. Time for a shower.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good going..! I like to wear Avia running shoes whenever go for a running around the city.