Thursday 1 January 2009

My Top 10 experiences of 2008


Along the lines of what Dave and I do every New Year's Eve, here's my favourite experiences of the year, in no particular order...
1. Re-establishing contact with my Spanish friends (lived in Santiago de Compostela in 1985) by bumping into Karen (see pic, second left) in the Modus Vivendi bar, Santiago. Thanks to Dave for giving me the space to catch up properly, and a special mention to Tito (aka Andres Pineiro on left) for travelling from El Ferrol with a day's notice to see me. I was so happy that I sat in the cathedral one day and cried. Also on the picture - Carlos.
2. Seeing David Tennant play Hamlet (my favourite play) at Stratford-upon-Avon, October, with Sandra.
3. My presentation at the ER&L Conference, Atlanta, is a resounding success, in March. Plus I make friends with the indomitable Christine Orr and we dine at Mary Mac's Tea Room - truly a unique experience.
4. The highlight of my first trip to New York at Easter with Dave is drinking cocktails at the Flat Iron Lounge, an Art Deco extravaganza.
5. Sandra and I throw a fantastic party in the room above Patrick Kavanagh pub, Kings Heath, in October. Jo, Alistair and Bill all stay over.
6. Dave and I become very good friends with our neighbours Andy and Helen over the course of the year. One particular highlight is the neighbourhood barbecue in our communal back lane in August.
7. Another great year for the national schools competition, Debating Matters. As inspiring and energising as ever.
8. My headaches become manageable for the first time in 15 years.
9. I run the 10K Great Manchester Run effortlessly in May, and enjoy the whole experience.
10. Dave and I have a fab time at Fiona's 40th in September (see previous post), staying out until 4.30am with Fiona and her friends Ros and Ben.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Fiestas, barbacoas, viajes, teatro, amigos,... ¡Eso sí que es exprimir la vida!, aunque supongo que lo mejor del año habrá sido terminar con la tortura de los dolores de cabeza, ¿no? Ya nos contarás como va el 2009 sin esa carga.

terceirohome said...

Sarah , you look exactly as if you were 25...DID YOU SIGN A CONTRACT WITH THE DEVIL? I think that Dave and you are absolutely gorgeous..
Xabier/Javier